Monday, June 22, 2015

DAY 6- 18 on the 16th

Since I wasn’t on kitchen or cleaning duty, I was on duty for manual labor. I spent the first half of my day helping with the foundation of the new community center they were building. It was a lot of sweat and a lot of hard work. Eventually, when not as many people were needed to help, Mariam, Alex Cooper, and I went on a mini adventure.
We were invited to go with a few villagers to go get fresh coconuts. I went into this trip hating everything about coconuts, but this trip changed that. Fresh coconut milk is amazing. Watching the work that went into getting them was exciting too. I also got some fresh bananas, which were so great considering how little breakfast we could really have. Walking down the hill was crazy, trying to carry multiple coconuts down. The workers were all very grateful for the coconut milk.
I had a bit of free time after working and after lunch. I spent it exploring, and introducing myself to some of the villagers, I also met some of the women of the village, like Ili, Wini, and Lusi. They easily treated everyone like family, and it was a heartwarming experience.  I loved every second of it. I also got to meet some of the older kids who came home from school, too. There was a little crafting lesson in the community center, involving weaving and animals. In the end, it was just a fun time.

The kava ceremony that night involved celebrating Jacob’s birthday. It was so joyous, especially with the Fijian adaptation of the Happy Birthday song. There was cake passed around as I talked with my new Fijian friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment