Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DAY 10- critique

We start off by sleeping in for the first time the whole trip. It was beyond blissful, since our beds were not only actual beds, but all to ourselves too. Our late start is followed by the realization that our only free breakfast is cereal and toast.
The first part of the day was relaxing. Alex, Bora, Claire, Jacob, Jamison, Mariam, and I spent quite a bit of time on the beach, just enjoying the place we were staying at. Mango Bay isn’t luxurious overall, but it was far more so than anywhere else we were.
Next on the list was photo editing (as I sit here typing, I also have Lightroom open). There’s a critique later in the day that we have to prepare three photos for. Critiques tend to scare me, due to my previous experiences with them in art class. I was going to use three photos of people; one of Mary, one of Lela, and one of a little girl in the church in Tovu Tovu. However, Brett and Lisa had other plans. They chose the following three photos for me to present. It made the situation a bit more nerve-wracking, since I was now presenting photos that they thought were my best, but I didn’t think they were.
The rest of the day was more and more relaxation. I went and made a necklace out of coconut shell (which took a whole fifty minutes to sand out), and continued to just talk to friends and edit photos.

Once the critique came, I was more nervous than ever before. Just the realization that I was surrounded by other really fantastic photographers who would get to judge my work was a bit unsettling. I was the sixth or seventh person up (based on alphabetical order of first names). It wasn’t a bad experience after all. I got a few pointers, more compliments, and overall, I felt good about my pieces in the end. It made it a great end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment