Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DAY 12- who is that?

After waking up and accidentally scaring all of my friends in their dorm (oops), I spent the whole morning using the wifi to post blogs and edit photos. I was hard at work for a majority of the time in between breakfast and lunch. I’m still not caught up with posting the written blogs as I type this one, but hopefully I’ll get there.
We next rushed to get everything packed for Smuggler’s Cove. It was a hassle, due to the rain, but we survived. This time around, we had a huge bus for our three-hour trip. It made it a little bit better to have two chairs to myself (even though my headphones aren’t in perfect condition anymore).
Along the way, we stopped at a souvenir store. I ended up spending about half of what little Fijian money I had to begin with, but all of it was on gifts (except the chocolate chip muffin for myself). That stop that was supposed to last twenty minutes ended up a bit longer, and so our trip continued a bit behind schedule.
I fell in and out of sleep the entire bus ride, so it was a blessing to finally reach the hotel. That blessing fell straight on its face when the rooming situation became ultra complicated. The girls were all in a dorm (again), this one resembling a jail with metal bunk beds in an all white room. The trouble didn’t stop there, when we were told that the boys might have to room with us, due to housing issues. Something had happened with the room they had, and the hotel staff thought it would be fine to stick the boys in the all girls dorm, since there were enough empty beds. Lisa had different plans, since everyone on the trip signed a form saying that the boys and girls couldn’t room together, unless they wanted to be kicked out. Eventually, that was resolved to some degree, and we were able to head out to dinner.
Brett had informed us that this would be a more authentic Fijian restaurant than some of the other “tourist-y” restaurants we had gone to in the past (his words, not mine). However, it proved to just be a Chinese food restaurant, where I drowned my stress in chicken fried rice. The trip getting to and from dinner involved clown car-ing into one van, and having a few people hop in a taxi both ways.
Once back at the hotel, we stopped at their own little souvenir store, where I bought more things; though for myself, and with American money.
The last activity of the day was another presentation from Ulla. She showed us photos she took the day before, totaling in over 4,000. She said that that was the amount she would usually do in a day for a shoot, yet it doubles the amount I have total from this trip. She showed us her process of narrowing down photos, and choosing which ones to put in a photo story. I do feel like I learned a lot, especially since we’re supposed to have a similar product soon. I was especially happy when one of Ulla’s favorite photos of yesterday was of a villager and myself. It captured the wonderful time I had there, and I loved it much more than one of the ones she took of me after I broke the bench. All in all, it was a very inspiration process to watch.

We ended the day with highs and lows on the beach, and came back to the dorms to find two random girls in here. It‘s a bit awkward, since as I’m writing this, they’re being kicked out of our dorm and put in the other one (its not legal with Nat Geo for them to be here). If you’re reading this random girls, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment